MSHA Alert: Dozer safety
The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) released the investigation report on a Sept. 26, 2012, fatality at a construction sand and gravel site. The incident involved a 79-year old foreman who was killed when he was run over by the dozer he had been operating.
Keep in mind the following best practices when operating equipment:
- Inspect equipment before placing it in operation for the shift.
- Correct safety and operational defects on equipment in a timely manner to prevent the creation of a hazard to persons.
- Establish safe work procedures and identify and remove hazards before beginning a task.
- Prior to beginning work, ensure that persons are task-trained and understand the hazards associated with the work being performed. Know and follow safe work procedures before beginning repairs.
- Block dozer against motion by lowering the blade and ripper to the ground and setting the parking brake. Set the transmission lock lever to ensure the transmission is in neutral.
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing a task.
- Monitor personnel routinely to determine that safe work procedures are followed.
To view the full accident report, click here.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: Hlavinka Equipment opens Texas Hlavinda JCB division; Terex Washing Systems appoints new global sales director; Skelly and Loy promotes Aungst to VP of AMS; Luff Industries adds Riddell as territory manager; Caterpillar opens first Data Innovation Lab; Yokohama Tire Corp. will help build eco-friendly playground
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan Materials to meet August deadline for restoring eastern hillside of Azusa rock quarry475 Views
- MSHA issues serious non-fatal accident alert, best practices in response to water truck accident452 Views
- MSHA Fatality Review Committee determines several fatalities are chargeable to the mining industry317 Views
- Excavator explodes into flames after engine malfunction on New York jobsite (VIDEO)279 Views
- Eric Olsen appointed future CEO of Lafarge Holcim merger254 Views