MSHA Alert: Mining Safety
The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) has reported that three fatal accidents have occurred within a week at metal and nonmetal mines.
A September 16, 2013, incident involved a 58-year-old miner who was killed when he was driving a haul truck that traveled through a berm and over a highwall.
A September 18, 2013, incident involved a 56-year-old miner who was killed when material in a hopper engulfed him.
A September 19, 2013, incident involved a 32-year-old miner who was killed when he was driving a truck that flipped over.
MSHA noted that “October is historically the deadliest month for miners.”
The agency added that industry professionals should “stay alert and take the necessary actions needed to stop these accidents from recurring.”
MSHA recommends the following best practices for mining:
Examine your work area
Identify all hazards, including potential hazards
Ensure miners are trained and can demonstrate the use of fall protection
Be trained to safely operate the equipment
Always wear seat belts when operating mobile equipment
Be aware of people and activities in the area
Maintain control of mobile equipment
Never work on top of material in a hopper
To view the full report, click here.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: Hlavinka Equipment opens Texas Hlavinda JCB division; Terex Washing Systems appoints new global sales director; Skelly and Loy promotes Aungst to VP of AMS; Luff Industries adds Riddell as territory manager; Caterpillar opens first Data Innovation Lab; Yokohama Tire Corp. will help build eco-friendly playground
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan Materials to meet August deadline for restoring eastern hillside of Azusa rock quarry476 Views
- MSHA issues serious non-fatal accident alert, best practices in response to water truck accident452 Views
- MSHA Fatality Review Committee determines several fatalities are chargeable to the mining industry318 Views
- Excavator explodes into flames after engine malfunction on New York jobsite (VIDEO)279 Views
- Eric Olsen appointed future CEO of Lafarge Holcim merger254 Views