MSHA Alert: Maintenance Safety
The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) reports that the second metal/non-metal fatality of 2013 took place on Jan. 21, when a 54-year-old mechanic with six years of experience was killed at a lime operation. The mechanic was on the pre-heat deck of a kiln repairing a leaking hydraulic cylinder that activates a pusher arm on the kiln. He was caught between the corner of the angle iron and the plate connecting the push rods.
MSHA recommends the following best practices in this area:
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed along with the methods to properly protect persons.
- Always follow the equipment manufacturer’s recommended maintenance procedures when conducting repairs to machinery.
- Task train all persons to recognize all potential hazardous conditions and understand safe job procedures to eliminate all hazards before beginning work.
- Before working on or near equipment, ensure that the equipment power circuits are locked out/tagged out and that the equipment is blocked against hazardous motion.
- Require all persons to be positioned to prevent them from being exposed to any hazards.
- Monitor personnel to ensure safe work procedures, including lock out/ tag out and safe work positioning, are followed.
- Ensure guarding is in place to cover potential pinch points and moving parts in areas routinely accessed by personnel.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest crusher in a market-leading series. The all new…
MORE FROM MSHA Alerts
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Atlanta turning quarry into one of America's largest reservoirs1053 Views
- CRH continues to eye large deals to grow the Irish aggregate company481 Views
- Controversial quarry granted permit by Indiana Department of Natural Resources427 Views
- VIDEO: World conference discusses Lafarge-Holcim merger403 Views
- The final Waters of the U.S. rule has been released to the Federal Register318 Views