MSHA enforcement alert
According to one state association, one of its members recently received a citation from the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) for failure to install handrails on a Cat 345 D excavator. The excavator in question had a factory-installed handrail beside the steps leading up to the cab, but the citation stated that the working platform had no handrails. It stated that there was a 44-inch opening on the cab side and a 72-inch opening on the opposite side, and that the platform was approximately 8 feet above ground level, which exposed miners to the possibility of injuries.
The association member was justifiably concerned about this violation. Equipment manufacturers and dealers are working with aggregates producers to get machines into compliance with MSHA directives. Cat installs handrails on its equipment in compliance with ISO 2867 and SAE J185 regulations, which state: “10.3 — Platforms and walkways shall be provided with guardrails if the vertical distance from the open side of a platform or walkway is greater than 3 meters above the ground or another platform.”
There seems to be some discrepancy in height limits. Be alert for MSHA compliance/enforcement activities focusing on this issue.
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers293 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger142 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park142 Views