MSHA ramps up airborne contaminant exposure monitoring
The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) has increased its focus on exposure monitoring at metal and nonmetal mines throughout the country “to ensure better worker protection from overexposure to harmful airborne contaminants,” and accordingly, the National Stone, Sand & Gravel Association (NSSGA) has upgraded efforts to assist industry operators in complying with the standard.
NSSGA has sent a letter to industry operators notifying them of the importance of this future MSHA enforcement initiative. Additionally, NSSGA issued a copy of its Occupational Health Program (available at www.nssga.org), which details ways to conduct exposure monitoring necessary for complying with the standard, to executive directors of all state aggregate associations in the hope that this facilitates wider dissemination of the news of this coming enforcement initiative. NSSGA says that it “is also working to find other vehicles for assisting operators.”
Although NSSGA says it doesn’t know the in-depth details of MSHA’s planned enforcement emphasis, the organization says it “is committed to compliance with this and all standards.”
For a more in-depth report, see the February 2011 print magazine or Digital Edition (www.aggman.com, click on Digital Edition and go to the AggBeat section) of Aggregates Manager.
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers294 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger142 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park142 Views