MSHA issues October alert
The Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA) issued a Fatal Alert for October stating that the last 10 years, metal/non-metal mines have experienced more fatal accidents in the month of October than in any other month. The agency recommends focusing on working safely and following these Best Practices:
- Inspect mobile equipment for safety defects and correct before operating.
- Place controls of mobile equipment in park and set the parking brake if leaving it unattended. Chock or turn wheels toward berm or bank when parked on a grade.
- Sound audible warnings before moving mobile equipment.
- Wear seat belts when operating mobile equipment.
- Identify and control hazards before beginning a task.
- Wear fall protection where there is a danger of falling.
- Don’t work or pass under suspended loads.
- Barricade the area and remove all persons from beneath overhead work.
- De-energize, lock, and tag out electrical equipment before performing maintenance or repairs.