MSHA says contract miner killed, fatality No. 8
On May 26, 2010, a 28 year-old contract miner with 10 weeks of mining experience was fatally injured at the Denison Mines (USA) Corp.-Pandora Complex underground uranium mine, according to a report from the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA).
The victim was scaling a rib when he was struck by falling material approximately 11 feet high, 15 feet wide and 4 inches to 30 inches thick.
This was the 8th fatality.
MSHA offers these best practices:
•Always examine, sound and test for loose ground in areas before starting to work, after blasting, and as ground conditions warrant.
•Train all persons to scale loose material safely.
•Always perform manual scaling from a safe location.
•When manually scaling, use scaling bars of a length and design that allow the removal of loose material without exposing the persons performing the work.
•Install ground support in ribs where conditions warrant.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park159 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- Missouri man arrested for burglary of quarry and gun range113 Views