MSHA: Skid-steer loader operator killed at Minnesota sand and gravel operation
On Aug. 9, 2011, a 24-year-old skid-steer loader operator with 12 weeks of experience was killed at 4 J’s Gravel Crushing, a construction sand and gravel operation in Minnesota, according to an Aug. 23 press release from the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA).
The employee accessed an elevated platform near an unguarded head pulley and became entangled in the operating conveyor system, according to the MSHA report.
To prevent this type of accident in the future, MSHA is suggesting the following best practices:
- Identify hazards around conveyor systems, design guards, and securely install the guarding.
- Always provide and maintain guarding sufficient to prevent contact with moving machine parts.
- Train persons to recognize the hazards associated with performing tasks.
- Follow established lock-out and tag-out procedures before working on operating systems or moving machine parts.
- Remain aware of potential hazards in your work area and take actions to eliminate the risks.
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing when working near moving machine parts.
To view the original press release from MSHA, click here.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park155 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- Missouri man arrested for burglary of quarry and gun range113 Views