Oberstar paints ‘doomsday’ scenario without second stimulus
Sen. Jim Oberstar (D-Minn.) has told Congress that it must pass a second stimulus bill to fend off another round of economic crisis, Minnesota Public Radio reports.
Oberstar, who is chairman House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, says the first stimulus package created 8,500 construction jobs related to transportation projects in Minnesota in its first year, according to the public radio report.
Oberstar says the measure created about 890,000 transportation-related jobs, according to the report.
However, Oberstar says now that the stimulus is almost complete, he cautions that if it’s not continued with a second stimulus, the nation will be facing “a doomsday scenario,” according to a KARE-11 report.
Despite Oberstar’s morbid outlook, pundits aren’t convinced a second stimulus is the best option.
“The President, democrats’, focused on climate change, then health care, when what we are screaming for is jobs,” said Charlie Cook of the Cook Political Report, reports KARE-11.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers293 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger142 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park140 Views