Quarry fire prompts evacuation; could smolder for days
The fire at Stony Creek Quarry, which supplies granite for landmarks, prompted officials to evacuate “several hundred people within a mile” of the quarry, the Associated Press reports.
The evacuation occurred when officials “became concerned that explosives used for blasting might explode,” the report notes.
Firefighters were able to smother the fire after a small privately owned drone determined the explosives were far enough from some burning protective rubber.
Fire officials told the AP that the fire began when some quarry workers burned cardboard that had previously been used as storage for some explosives.
Officials said the fire was an accident. No injuries were reported.
Authorities told the AP the fire could smolder for several days.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Check out this drone footage of the Atlanta quarry where 'The Walking Dead' was filmed (VIDEO)394 Views
- Rogers Group's Pottsville Quarry reaches for the stars337 Views
- Quarry Quest is returning to Michels Materials Quarry in Wisconsin for a 17th year (VIDEO)289 Views
- Caterpillar to lay off another 475 employees271 Views
- The U.S. saw an increase in construction aggregates in the second quarter204 Views