Rogers Group refiles application for Americus quarry
Nearly two months after withdrawing its request for a special exception that would allow a proposed quarry to operate near Americus, Ind., Rogers Group is back in action.
The company, which previously withdrew its request to focus on neighbor concerns, on Thursday refiled its application for construction, WLFI reports.
Rogers Group Vice President Andy Williams said nearby residents told the company how the proposal could be improved, with the majority of input focusing on concerns about water wells, noise and hours of operation.
“The new conditions in our modified proposal reflect their input,” Williams said in the report. “Our conversation with the community will remain an ongoing process.”
The new application includes several modifications. The company offered the following additions to its proposal:
24-hour operations would be reduced to no more than 3 months in a 12-month period.
The company would reasonably repair, replace or compensate any neighbor for substantial damage to a non-significant groundwater well .
Blasting would be limited to weekdays between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., with most blasting completed by 2 p.m. No blasting would occur on weekends.
The company would require all customers to cover truck loads with a tarp to prevent dust and material from spilling onto the roadway.
The company would also modify its variance request and add fencing around its processing area.
Additionally, the Tippecanoe County commissioners are expected to vote this week on a proposed ordinance that would ban stone quarries in residential areas. If approved, the ordinance could prevent Rogers Group from constructing its proposed quarry.
From our partners