RuPaul meets rock
If you thought it was tough to get a permit in California, try Australia. A NIMBY group there, No Blasted Quarry, has taken the fundraising aspect of fighting quarries to a place it’s never gone before: drag queen bingo.
Noosa News reports that, while the group has also used more traditional sources such as collecting scrap metal, raffles and rock concerts to raise a $200,000 fund, more colorful fundraising options have also been employed.
The operator, Parklands Blue Metal, was originally denied a permit in 2011. Its appeal will be heard in the Planning and Environment Court later this month, and anti-quarrying groups are pulling out all the stops.
Neighborhood protest groups frequently pose a challenge to operators, but this particular group certainly puts a new face to the idea of neighborhood protests.
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Mine worker dies in tragic accident1184 Views
- Update on experienced plant manager killed at Murray Mines1109 Views
- Quarry workers in Egypt risking life and limbs (PHOTOS)1090 Views
- Rare Dinosaur bone found in Colorado quarry844 Views
- VIDEO: Excavator straddles extremely narrow bench, predictably topples over365 Views