Sand mine shut down by DNR
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources hand-delivered a letter to the operators informing them of the shut down order.
“It’s not that they won’t be able to mine eventually, but we just want to make sure it’s done safely and the resources are protected,” DNR spokesperson Tom Hovey said.
The trout-stream setback permit includes a one-year evaluation and monitoring period which is important to the DNR.
Some believe the mine may take the shut down order to court instead of attempting to obtain the permit. The mine could argue that since it is being used for construction, and not hydraulic fracturing, the new state regulations do not apply.
It could also argue it’s operating under a permit that existed before the new law, meaning it shouldn’t have to follow the new regulations.
This mine’s situation is different from a sand and gravel mine in North Dakota that is risking a shutdown because it refuses to allow inspectors in.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers293 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission159 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger140 Views
- PHOTOS: Caterpillar: Modern Earthmoving Marvels traces equipment evolution123 Views