Senate releases immigration reform bill
Senate negotiators released an 844-page immigration reform bill on Tuesday, Politico reported.
The legislation, known as The Border Security, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013, includes such measures as implementation of E-verify and a stricter visa exit system within 10 years of the bill’s enactment.
The legislation’s outline says it aims at “modernizing our legal system to promote job creation” by:
- Creating “a more merit-based immigration system”
- Restricting the issue of work visas to when employment is available for Americans, thus eliminating visas in an area when the unemployment rate is above 8.5 percent
- Giving green cards to foreign students who earn a degree in the U.S.
- Expanding the H1-B program from 6,500 to 110,000
- Establishing a guest worker program for lower-skilled workers
- Creating a new agricultural guest worker visa program
To view the bill in its entirety, visit Politico.com.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Rock & Run 2014 was full of fun for everyone620 Views
- Mine expansion leaving MnDOT up a creek without a paddle427 Views
- How to stay safe while working with a small or short-handed crew183 Views
- Majority of construction firms can't find skilled workers131 Views
- The Underground World Wide Web: A new use for abandoned mines108 Views