Senate releases immigration reform bill
Senate negotiators released an 844-page immigration reform bill on Tuesday, Politico reported.
The legislation, known as The Border Security, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013, includes such measures as implementation of E-verify and a stricter visa exit system within 10 years of the bill’s enactment.
The legislation’s outline says it aims at “modernizing our legal system to promote job creation” by:
- Creating “a more merit-based immigration system”
- Restricting the issue of work visas to when employment is available for Americans, thus eliminating visas in an area when the unemployment rate is above 8.5 percent
- Giving green cards to foreign students who earn a degree in the U.S.
- Expanding the H1-B program from 6,500 to 110,000
- Establishing a guest worker program for lower-skilled workers
- Creating a new agricultural guest worker visa program
To view the bill in its entirety, visit Politico.com.
From our partners
Developing a solid relationship with Demolition Technologies Specialized Services enables Crushing Tigers…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: Hlavinka Equipment opens Texas Hlavinda JCB division; Terex Washing Systems appoints new global sales director; Skelly and Loy promotes Aungst to VP of AMS; Luff Industries adds Riddell as territory manager; Caterpillar opens first Data Innovation Lab; Yokohama Tire Corp. will help build eco-friendly playground
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan Materials to meet August deadline for restoring eastern hillside of Azusa rock quarry475 Views
- MSHA issues serious non-fatal accident alert, best practices in response to water truck accident451 Views
- MSHA Fatality Review Committee determines several fatalities are chargeable to the mining industry313 Views
- Excavator explodes into flames after engine malfunction on New York jobsite (VIDEO)279 Views
- Eric Olsen appointed future CEO of Lafarge Holcim merger254 Views