Senate releases immigration reform bill
Senate negotiators released an 844-page immigration reform bill on Tuesday, Politico reported.
The legislation, known as The Border Security, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013, includes such measures as implementation of E-verify and a stricter visa exit system within 10 years of the bill’s enactment.
The legislation’s outline says it aims at “modernizing our legal system to promote job creation” by:
- Creating “a more merit-based immigration system”
- Restricting the issue of work visas to when employment is available for Americans, thus eliminating visas in an area when the unemployment rate is above 8.5 percent
- Giving green cards to foreign students who earn a degree in the U.S.
- Expanding the H1-B program from 6,500 to 110,000
- Establishing a guest worker program for lower-skilled workers
- Creating a new agricultural guest worker visa program
To view the bill in its entirety, visit Politico.com.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest crusher in a market-leading series. The all new…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Quarry explosion damages homes and cars and injures one person1008 Views
- Lafarge CEO awarded $2.78 million bonus for 'key role' in merger387 Views
- Vulcan Materials conducts blast for the 'Mayan steps' restoration321 Views
- Caterpillar unveils the CT680, a rugged work truck wrapped in style (PHOTOS)195 Views
- Lafarge announces rural road solution as a low-cost alternative to asphalt191 Views