Senate releases immigration reform bill
Senate negotiators released an 844-page immigration reform bill on Tuesday, Politico reported.
The legislation, known as The Border Security, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013, includes such measures as implementation of E-verify and a stricter visa exit system within 10 years of the bill’s enactment.
The legislation’s outline says it aims at “modernizing our legal system to promote job creation” by:
- Creating “a more merit-based immigration system”
- Restricting the issue of work visas to when employment is available for Americans, thus eliminating visas in an area when the unemployment rate is above 8.5 percent
- Giving green cards to foreign students who earn a degree in the U.S.
- Expanding the H1-B program from 6,500 to 110,000
- Establishing a guest worker program for lower-skilled workers
- Creating a new agricultural guest worker visa program
To view the bill in its entirety, visit Politico.com.
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Two teens dead after falling through ice at quarry745 Views
- CRH emerges as frontrunner for Holcim and Lafarge assets539 Views
- Caterpillar full-year earnings dip with bad 4Q; 2015 doesn't look good either248 Views
- More sand coming to Carlsbad beaches192 Views
- Sales manager killed at sand and gravel plant138 Views