Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets on four continents, with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold and molybdenum. As a core value, we pledge to continuously improve in meeting our commitment to work in the most safe, inclusive, environmentally and socially responsible manner practicable. Safety and health initiatives, both on and off the job, are a critically important investment in our employees.
We offer outstanding opportunities for individuals seeking a challenging, exciting and rewarding work environment for a company that supplies the world with metals that will sustain and expand economies and build infrastructure in developing nations. A world of opportunities is available to individuals who share in our commitments.
Responsible for ensuring a safe working environment and compliance with regulatory laws at assigned facilities.
- Audits processes and facilities within area(s) of responsibility to ensure the Health and Safety Management System (HSMS) is in compliance and conformance not only FCX Corporate requirements but with all applicable local, state, federal, and business requirements
- Conducts safety orientations, visits work sites, and distributes literature to implement and promote health and safety policies and procedures
- Analyzes and interprets scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and regulatory documents to identify potential impacts to the site
- Develops processes necessary to continuously improve the HSMS and to ensure compliance and conformance with all legal, business, and client requirements
- Presents information and responds to Health and Safety questions or concerns from employees, managers, and the general public
- Responds to employee Health and Safety inquiries, regulatory complaints, and/or community groups
- May assist or train lower level specialists
- Handles special projects as assigned
- Manages MSHA/OSHA/State Mine Inspector visits, evaluates field activities, addresses potential violations with inspectors, and ensures documentation of all potential violations are completed as required
- Evaluates Safety Training venues annually to ensure presentation materials are pertinent, meets regulatory requirements, and is presented in a professional manner. Oversees the development of new safety training programs as required
- Performs additional duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Health and Safety or a related field and four (4) years experience
- Master’s degree in a related field and two (2) years of experience.
- Combined OSHA and MSHA experience
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to fifty (50) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold promotes a drug/ alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer
Job – Health & Safety
Primary Location – US-AZ-Miami Mine/Smelter