Sens. Boxer and Inhofe release outline for bipartisan transportation reauthorization bill
MAP-21 continues to provide the majority of Federal resources to the states through core programs using funding formulas. However, the core highway programs have been consolidated from seven in SAFETEA-LU to five, as follows:
• The National Highway Performance Program
o Consolidates the Interstate Maintenance program, the National Highway System program, and part of the Highway Bridge Program into a single program that focuses on the most critical 222,000 miles of roads in the nation.
o Provides states with increased flexibility in their use of funds if they adequately maintain the condition of their Interstate system and bridges.
• The Transportation Mobility Program
o Consolidates several existing programs to provide funds to states for projects on all Federal-aid highways and all bridges and tunnels.
o Provides for the sub-allocation of some funds to metropolitan areas and to other areas of the State based on population.
• National Freight Program
o Provides formula funds to states for projects to improve the movement of freight on highways, including freight intermodal connectors.
• Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program
o Provides funds to states for projects and programs in air quality nonattainment and maintenance areas for ozone, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter, which reduce transportation related emissions.
o Consolidates several existing programs to provide resources for additional transportation eligibilities.
• Highway Safety Improvement Program
o Provides funds to states for infrastructure improvements on all public roads to achieve a significant reduction in traffic fatalities and serious injuries.
o Improves data collection and analysis to allow states to more accurately focus funding on the most dangerous roads.
MAP-21 consolidates 87 programs under SAFETEA-LU to less than 30 programs. The activities for which dedicated funding has been removed have been consolidated into the very broad core programs, leaving states with the flexibility to fund these activities as they see fit.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Former gravel quarry-turned-landfill transforms into nature reserve522 Views
- North Carolina grants Martin Marietta water quality certification for limestone quarry259 Views
- Vulcan-blocking bill dies in Alabama legislature251 Views
- Road restrictions may stop quarry construction in Kentucky221 Views
- Two suspects charged with arson in Jack’s Mountain Quarry case in Virginia128 Views