SME 2014 Annual Meeting attracts 22% more attendees than expected
The Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) held its 2014 Annual Meeting, which attracted 6,722 attendees, Feb. 23-26 in Salt Lake City.
The society says there were 22 percent more attendees at the meeting than it anticipated.
John Hollenhorst of KSL-NBC-5 was the moderator for the meeting’s keynote session, “Community Engagement: Building Partnerships for Mining,” during which a panel of experts talked about working together for a social, economic and environmental balance in mine development.
The keynote session also included participation from local Boy Scouts and SME volunteers to commemorate the introduction of the new Mining in Society merit badge.
Other meeting highlights include:
804,000 square feet of exhibit space
613 international attendees
656 student attendees
$5 million spent by attendees that benefited the local economy
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Rock and Bowl: Graniterock helps make the Super Bowl a success625 Views
- Aggregates industry leader Bob Bartlett dies479 Views
- Miner seriously injured after articulated haul truck overturned473 Views
- Obama says now is time to raise gas tax with oil prices plummeting460 Views
- Stockpile Reports launches bin and bunker measurement for stockpiled materials via iPhone, drone245 Views