SME 2014 Annual Meeting attracts 22% more attendees than expected
The Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) held its 2014 Annual Meeting, which attracted 6,722 attendees, Feb. 23-26 in Salt Lake City.
The society says there were 22 percent more attendees at the meeting than it anticipated.
John Hollenhorst of KSL-NBC-5 was the moderator for the meeting’s keynote session, “Community Engagement: Building Partnerships for Mining,” during which a panel of experts talked about working together for a social, economic and environmental balance in mine development.
The keynote session also included participation from local Boy Scouts and SME volunteers to commemorate the introduction of the new Mining in Society merit badge.
Other meeting highlights include:
804,000 square feet of exhibit space
613 international attendees
656 student attendees
$5 million spent by attendees that benefited the local economy
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: Hlavinka Equipment opens Texas Hlavinda JCB division; Terex Washing Systems appoints new global sales director; Skelly and Loy promotes Aungst to VP of AMS; Luff Industries adds Riddell as territory manager; Caterpillar opens first Data Innovation Lab; Yokohama Tire Corp. will help build eco-friendly playground
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan Materials to meet August deadline for restoring eastern hillside of Azusa rock quarry476 Views
- MSHA issues serious non-fatal accident alert, best practices in response to water truck accident452 Views
- MSHA Fatality Review Committee determines several fatalities are chargeable to the mining industry319 Views
- Excavator explodes into flames after engine malfunction on New York jobsite (VIDEO)280 Views
- Eric Olsen appointed future CEO of Lafarge Holcim merger254 Views