SME announces first Congressional Fellowship recipient
The Board of Directors and the Government and Public Affairs Committee of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME) announced Wednesday that Joshua Hoffman, Ph.D., P.E., of Lexington, Kentucky is the first recipient of the SME Mining Engineering Congressional Fellowship.
Hoffman will spend the 2014-2015 legislative season in Washington, D.C., where he will work on the staff of a member of Congress or on a congressional committee.
He will conduct legislative research and oversight work, assist in congressional hearings and debates, prepare briefs and write speeches.
Hoffman’s background helped him earn his place in the fellowship.
He received his B.S. in mining engineering, with minors in explosives and chemistry from Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly University of Missouri-Rolla) and received his Ph.D. in mining engineering from the University of Kentucky with his dissertation, A Framework for Understanding the Public’s Perspectives of Mining Applied to the Kentucky Coal Industry.
“His understanding of the nexus of public policy and mining issues, along with his teaching and outreach experience, make him an excellent candidate for the SME Congressional Fellowship,” 2013 SME President Dr. Jessica Kogel said in a written statement.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park163 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- Missouri man arrested for burglary of quarry and gun range113 Views