SME announces first Congressional Fellowship recipient
The Board of Directors and the Government and Public Affairs Committee of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME) announced Wednesday that Joshua Hoffman, Ph.D., P.E., of Lexington, Kentucky is the first recipient of the SME Mining Engineering Congressional Fellowship.
Hoffman will spend the 2014-2015 legislative season in Washington, D.C., where he will work on the staff of a member of Congress or on a congressional committee.
He will conduct legislative research and oversight work, assist in congressional hearings and debates, prepare briefs and write speeches.
Hoffman’s background helped him earn his place in the fellowship.
He received his B.S. in mining engineering, with minors in explosives and chemistry from Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly University of Missouri-Rolla) and received his Ph.D. in mining engineering from the University of Kentucky with his dissertation, A Framework for Understanding the Public’s Perspectives of Mining Applied to the Kentucky Coal Industry.
“His understanding of the nexus of public policy and mining issues, along with his teaching and outreach experience, make him an excellent candidate for the SME Congressional Fellowship,” 2013 SME President Dr. Jessica Kogel said in a written statement.
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface top hammer drill rigs all feature a revolving…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- VIDEO: World conference discusses Lafarge-Holcim merger456 Views
- Controversial quarry granted permit by Indiana Department of Natural Resources445 Views
- PHOTOS: Reclamation photo contest entries showcase post-mining opportunities405 Views
- The final Waters of the U.S. rule has been released to the Federal Register370 Views
- Loader operator dies after sand avalanche at Massachusetts sand and gravel company359 Views