SME to introduce new annual awards program at annual meeting
The Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration’s (SME) health and safety committee will introduce a new annual awards program at the organization’s annual meeting February 23-26 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The new awards program will have three categories: operational excellence, mining individual excellence, and research and educational excellence.
SME has announced that the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s (NIOSH) Office of Mine Safety and Health Research (OMSHR), Hearing Loss Prevention Branch (HLPB) is the first recipient of the Research and Educational Excellence Award.
SME says the Research and Educational Excellence Award “recognizes a research institution exemplifying exceptional innovation and dedication toward advancement in technology or education for the protection and well-being of miners.”
HLPB is recognized for its work to commercialize controls, making them available to miners, mining companies and mining equipment manufacturers.
SME is also recognizing the branch for fostering commercial products that reduce noise for miners.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA's top 25 most cited standards at sand and gravel facilities in 20151553 Views
- MSHA's top 25 most cited standards at stone facilities in 20151022 Views
- MSHA issues 95 citations to seven mines during December inspections965 Views
- Obama proposes $10-per-barrel tax on oil production659 Views
- Stockpile Reports launches bin and bunker measurement for stockpiled materials via iPhone, drone395 Views