SME to introduce new annual awards program at annual meeting
The Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration’s (SME) health and safety committee will introduce a new annual awards program at the organization’s annual meeting February 23-26 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The new awards program will have three categories: operational excellence, mining individual excellence, and research and educational excellence.
SME has announced that the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s (NIOSH) Office of Mine Safety and Health Research (OMSHR), Hearing Loss Prevention Branch (HLPB) is the first recipient of the Research and Educational Excellence Award.
SME says the Research and Educational Excellence Award “recognizes a research institution exemplifying exceptional innovation and dedication toward advancement in technology or education for the protection and well-being of miners.”
HLPB is recognized for its work to commercialize controls, making them available to miners, mining companies and mining equipment manufacturers.
SME is also recognizing the branch for fostering commercial products that reduce noise for miners.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Rock & Run 2014 was full of fun for everyone638 Views
- Mine expansion leaving MnDOT up a creek without a paddle418 Views
- OSHA cites Nebraska sand and gravel company345 Views
- The Underground World Wide Web: A new use for abandoned mines154 Views
- How to stay safe while working with a small or short-handed crew151 Views