Sneak Peek story: Vulcan, Luck Stone receive Gold Awards
The National Stone, Sand & Gravel Association (NSSGA) gave top honors to Vulcan Materials Co.’s Stafford Quarry and to Luck Stone’s Powhatan and Spotsylvania operations during the NSSGA Annual Convention held in late March in Las Vegas.
Vulcan’s Stafford Quarry in Stafford, Va., part of Vulcan’s Mideast Division, received an Excellence in Community Relations Gold Award, a national award recognizing a superior level of active involvement with and positive contributions to the facility’s neighboring community. Luck Stone’s Powhatan plant in Powhatan, Va., won a Gold Award for Environmental Excellence, and its Spotsylvania plant in Fredericksburg, Va., received a Gold Award for Community Relations.
Stafford Quarry has been a long-standing participant of Vulcan’s Adopt-a-School program, which partners with Friends of the Rappahannock — the largest donor to date to the Stafford County Civil War Park — and offers tours of the operation to school groups, Cub Scouts, and geology students.
For a downloadable PDF of all recipients of the 2010 Environmental Excellence Award Winners, go to http://www.nssga.org/communications/EnvAwards2010.pdf.
For the full list of 2010 Awards of Excellence winners, go to http://www.nssga.org/communications/CRAwards2010.pdf.
For the full list of the 2010 Safety Award winners, go to http://www.nssga.org/communications/SafetyAwards2009.pdf.
For a more in-depth story, including comments from Vulcan and Luck Stone personnel, see the May 2011 print edition and digital edition (www.aggman.com, click on Digital Edition and go to the “AggBeat” section) next month.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA issues citations to five metal/non-metal mines during impact inspections in February388 Views
- California woman killed when gravel truck tips over on her car201 Views
- Northern White Sand considers building a rail unloading facility in Carlsbad162 Views
- Senate rejects amendment seeking to fund infrastructure by closing corporate tax loophole134 Views
- DRIVE Act aims to support Highway Trust Fund by limiting spending to roads and bridges126 Views