South Dakota DOT unveils new road-condition website
The South Dakota Department of Transportation has unveiled a new and improved road-condition reporting website.
The site, www.safetravelusa.com/sd, has a user-friendly map that shows road conditions, road construction, traffic cameras, and features not previously available.
“Safety is the department’s No. 1 priority,” Darin Bergquist, South Dakota’s transportation secretary, said in a written statement. “By providing travelers of South Dakota highways with the most up-to-date road and weather information, we are giving them the tools to make good travel decisions.”
Improvements to SafeTravelUSA include features requested by the website’s users, including a bolder map that can be zoomed to all state highways, overlaid weather display, and larger camera images. By choosing from several icons on the right side of the map, users can customize the map to their individual needs.
As another added feature, locations on SafeTravelUSA and on South Dakota’s phone-based 511 system will be referenced to geographic landmarks instead of highway mileposts.
Bergquist said the goal is to have www.safetravelusa.com/sd recognized as a “must-check’’ information site for travelers in South Dakota.
“Whether a motorist wants the latest information on a winter storm, road conditions during flooding, or simply a look where construction projects might affect travel, we want…to provide that information clearly,” he said.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Miner suspended upside down pulled to safety by his pant legs701 Views
- Caterpillar lays off hundreds more, announces plant closing in North Carolina365 Views
- Cat 6015B hydraulic shovel offers increased power, more loading capacity341 Views
- MSHA and NSSGA release new infographic about material handling injuries264 Views
- Obama signs two-week transportation patch into law216 Views