South Dakota DOT unveils new road-condition website
The South Dakota Department of Transportation has unveiled a new and improved road-condition reporting website.
The site, www.safetravelusa.com/sd, has a user-friendly map that shows road conditions, road construction, traffic cameras, and features not previously available.
“Safety is the department’s No. 1 priority,” Darin Bergquist, South Dakota’s transportation secretary, said in a written statement. “By providing travelers of South Dakota highways with the most up-to-date road and weather information, we are giving them the tools to make good travel decisions.”
Improvements to SafeTravelUSA include features requested by the website’s users, including a bolder map that can be zoomed to all state highways, overlaid weather display, and larger camera images. By choosing from several icons on the right side of the map, users can customize the map to their individual needs.
As another added feature, locations on SafeTravelUSA and on South Dakota’s phone-based 511 system will be referenced to geographic landmarks instead of highway mileposts.
Bergquist said the goal is to have www.safetravelusa.com/sd recognized as a “must-check’’ information site for travelers in South Dakota.
“Whether a motorist wants the latest information on a winter storm, road conditions during flooding, or simply a look where construction projects might affect travel, we want…to provide that information clearly,” he said.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Metal and nonmetal mines get a total of 61 citations during August MSHA inspections453 Views
- Southwest Rock Products' Queen Creek plant wins Top Operations contest390 Views
- Hanson Building Products acquires Minnesota concrete company377 Views
- Frac sand 101: What does it take to enter the high-value frac sand market and what does it mean for aggregate producers?307 Views
- Tips for meeting MSHA's tougher criteria for workplace examinations279 Views