South Elgin commission votes against Lafarge quarry hours expansion
The planning and zoning commission in South Elgin, Illinois, denied Lafarge Fox River Stone an extension of the operating hours at its south-side quarry, according to a report from The Courier-News.
The commission voted unanimously to not recommend the South Elgin Village Board to approve a special-use permit that would allow the quarry to operate from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday. The quarry’s current hours of operation are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays.
Neighbors who opposed the extended hours expressed concerns about noise, dust, light spillage and blasting.
Lafarge officials told The Courier-News that it needed to extend hours to meet demand for materials for road construction.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest crusher in a market-leading series. The all new…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Check out this drone footage of the Atlanta quarry where 'The Walking Dead' was filmed (VIDEO)426 Views
- Rogers Group's Pottsville Quarry reaches for the stars348 Views
- Quarry Quest is returning to Michels Materials Quarry in Wisconsin for a 17th year (VIDEO)290 Views
- Caterpillar to lay off another 475 employees274 Views
- Texas town buys quarry land to eventually shut it down and keep the neighborhood quiet211 Views