Steel import permit applications down 15 percent
Based on the U.S. Commerce Department’s most recent Steel Import Monitoring and Analysis (SIMA) data, the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) reported on Sept. 1 that steel import permit applications for the month of August totaled 2,082,000 net tons (NT).
This was a 15-percent decrease from the 2,436,000 permit tons recorded in July and a 14-percent decrease from the July preliminary imports total of 2,415,000 NT.
Import permit tonnage for finished steel in August was 1,623,000 NT, down 10 percent from the preliminary imports total of 1,797,000 NT in July.
August total and finished steel import permit tons would annualize at 24,305,000 NT and 18,912,000 NT, up 49 percent and 33 percent, respectively, from the 16,215,000 NT and 14,179,000 NT imported in 2009.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- A quarry worker was found dead in a lake a week after he fell from a floating dredge1029 Views
- Mummified human remains found at the site of a planned quarry in Indiana995 Views
- U.S. District Court agrees to expedite NSSGA's lawsuit against MSHA over POV rule378 Views
- Senate DRIVE Act is a six-year transportation bill with three-year Highway Trust Fund financing guarantee297 Views
- Dolese Bros. open quarry after more than $20 million in upgrades215 Views