Steel import permit applications down 15 percent
Based on the U.S. Commerce Department’s most recent Steel Import Monitoring and Analysis (SIMA) data, the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) reported on Sept. 1 that steel import permit applications for the month of August totaled 2,082,000 net tons (NT).
This was a 15-percent decrease from the 2,436,000 permit tons recorded in July and a 14-percent decrease from the July preliminary imports total of 2,415,000 NT.
Import permit tonnage for finished steel in August was 1,623,000 NT, down 10 percent from the preliminary imports total of 1,797,000 NT in July.
August total and finished steel import permit tons would annualize at 24,305,000 NT and 18,912,000 NT, up 49 percent and 33 percent, respectively, from the 16,215,000 NT and 14,179,000 NT imported in 2009.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- VIDEO: Giant-sized Jenga577 Views
- Mining industry expected to lose 53% of skilled workers by 2029382 Views
- Martin Marietta Materials elects President and CEO Ward Nye as chairman of the Board326 Views
- 110-year-old quarry demonstrates aggregate mining importance309 Views
- 7 Best Practices for Operating Mobile Equipment Near Embankments274 Views