Steel imports up 7% in March, import market share 23%
Based on preliminary Census Bureau data, the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) reports that the U.S. imported a total of 2,899,000 net tons (NT) of steel in March, including 2,163,000 NT of finished steel (up 7 percent and 4 percent, respectively, from February final data).
Annualized total and finished steel imports in 2011 would be 33.7 and 25.8 million NT, respectively, each up 18 percent vs. 2011. Finished steel import market share in March and Year-To-Date were both 23 percent, up from 22 percent in 2011. Key finished steel products with significant import increases in March 2012 compared to February are line pipe (up 51 percent), cut length plates (up 43 percent), standard pipe (up 25 percent), wire drawn (up 24 percent) and oil country goods (up 20 percent).
Major products with significant YTD import increases vs. the same period last year include reinforcing bar (up 88 percent), cut length plates (up 66 percent), line pipe (up 62 percent), plates in coils (up 53 percent) and sheet and strip galvanized hot dipped (up 49 percent).
From our partners
Developing a solid relationship with Demolition Technologies Specialized Services enables Crushing Tigers and Sandvik Construction to impact the demolition and…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Quarry explosion damages homes and cars and injures one person1059 Views
- Martin Marietta mine among 18 cited during MSHA monthly inspection in April632 Views
- EPA releases final Waters of the U.S. rule, aggregates industry reacts358 Views
- Man dies after nearly 100-foot fall into quarry355 Views
- Vulcan Materials conducts blast for the 'Mayan steps' restoration338 Views