STIHL sponsors SPEC MIX Bricklayer 500 National
At World of Concrete (WOC) 2010/ World of Masonry (WOM) 2010, STIHL held the SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 National, which is said to be the largest bricklaying competition.
In this event, held Jan. 19, the best masons in the world compete in 20, two-man teams, building a specified 26-foot, double-wythe — a continuous vertical section of masonry one unit in thickness — masonry brick wall in just 60 minutes.
The competition is judged on a combination of quality craftsmanship and the amount of brick laid. According to STIHL, this year’s competition was made up of winners and qualifiers, arguably considered the “Best of the Best,” from 13 regional SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 regional events that were held in the U.S. & Canada. Included among the 2011 competitors was the 2010 champion, Garrett Hood, who was invited to return to Las Vegas and defend his title as “World’s Best Bricklayer.”
The event offers $100,000 in cash and prizes for the winners of the bricklaying competition, with the top two finishers and SPEC MIX TOP CRAFTSMAN winning STIHL Cutquik cut-off machines. Thousands of spectators will turn out to see these masons compete for the top honors in competitive bricklaying.
Awards and prizes were given for the following:
- SPEC MIX BRICKLAYER 500 award, first, second, third Place (highest qualified brick count)
- SPEC MIX TOP CRAFTSMAN award (most sellable wall over 500 bricks).
- SPEC MIX TOUGHEST TENDER award, (fastest set up time).
MORE FROM Trade Show Coverage
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Miner suspended upside down pulled to safety by his pant legs624 Views
- Caterpillar lays off hundreds more, announces plant closing in North Carolina360 Views
- Cat 6015B hydraulic shovel offers increased power, more loading capacity332 Views
- Transportation funding extended through Dec. 4 as House and Senate work out long-term bill254 Views
- Martin Marietta names new executive vice president218 Views