VIDEO: Thornton Quarry protects Chicagoland
The blast marked the beginning of construction of the Thornton Composite Reservoir, which, according to the Chicago Tribune, is the largest portion, to date, of the Deep Tunnel floodwater control system.
The project is expected to create the largest reservoir of its kind in the world. Over the last 15 years, the quarry has initiated approximately 4,000 blasts as 76 million tons of limestone were processed.
While the portion of the operation north of I-80 will serve to protect the greater Chicago area, mining is expected to continue on Thornton’s southern operation for decades.
Check out the video below to watch the blast.
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Rock and Bowl: Graniterock helps make the Super Bowl a success630 Views
- Miner seriously injured after articulated haul truck overturned549 Views
- Aggregates industry leader Bob Bartlett dies506 Views
- Obama says now is time to raise gas tax with oil prices plummeting465 Views
- LafargeHolcim is considering selling Lafarge India289 Views