VIDEO: Thornton Quarry protects Chicagoland
The blast marked the beginning of construction of the Thornton Composite Reservoir, which, according to the Chicago Tribune, is the largest portion, to date, of the Deep Tunnel floodwater control system.
The project is expected to create the largest reservoir of its kind in the world. Over the last 15 years, the quarry has initiated approximately 4,000 blasts as 76 million tons of limestone were processed.
While the portion of the operation north of I-80 will serve to protect the greater Chicago area, mining is expected to continue on Thornton’s southern operation for decades.
Check out the video below to watch the blast.
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Follow these best practices for safe crushing operations251 Views
- What to expect at the 2014 ConExpo-Con/Agg show241 Views
- 25 Days of RollOuts: Atlas Copco’s bucket crushers236 Views
- Komatsu's WA1200-6 wheel loader offers more horsepower, lower costs178 Views
- Rare dinosaur skeleton found in quarry sells for more than $544,000153 Views