VIDEO: Thornton Quarry protects Chicagoland
The blast marked the beginning of construction of the Thornton Composite Reservoir, which, according to the Chicago Tribune, is the largest portion, to date, of the Deep Tunnel floodwater control system.
The project is expected to create the largest reservoir of its kind in the world. Over the last 15 years, the quarry has initiated approximately 4,000 blasts as 76 million tons of limestone were processed.
While the portion of the operation north of I-80 will serve to protect the greater Chicago area, mining is expected to continue on Thornton’s southern operation for decades.
Check out the video below to watch the blast.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Check out the fun of Fertile Days at Fertile Quarry3103 Views
- PHOTOS, VIDEO: Take a virtual tour of Unimin's underground operation in Guion, Ark.2294 Views
- When gravel doesn't bond with resurfacing substance...535 Views
- How to become a more productive worker309 Views
- Sneak peek: Inside Unimin's safety strategies307 Views