VIDEO: Thornton Quarry protects Chicagoland
The blast marked the beginning of construction of the Thornton Composite Reservoir, which, according to the Chicago Tribune, is the largest portion, to date, of the Deep Tunnel floodwater control system.
The project is expected to create the largest reservoir of its kind in the world. Over the last 15 years, the quarry has initiated approximately 4,000 blasts as 76 million tons of limestone were processed.
While the portion of the operation north of I-80 will serve to protect the greater Chicago area, mining is expected to continue on Thornton’s southern operation for decades.
Check out the video below to watch the blast.
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA releases report on electrical fatality at crushed stone operation602 Views
- PHOTOS: Cat introduces new track drill427 Views
- Mike Rowe talks about the dirty topic of educating future workers359 Views
- Caterpillar highlights equipment and connectivity at ConExpo-Con/Agg294 Views
- Rod Martin receives AggMan of the Year 2013 Award182 Views