Tiller’s Scandia mine approved 5-0
Despite objections from residents, environmental groups, and a planning commission recommendation against it, the Scandia City Council voted 5-0 to greenlight Tiller Corp.‘s conditional–use permit and annual operating permit application, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.
The permit approval includes 83 conditions on the conditional-use permit and 31 conditions on the annual operating permit. After receiving permits from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the Minnesota Department of Transportation, and the Carnelian-Marine-St. Croix Watershed District, Tiller will be able to mine 1 million tons per year of sand from the 114-acre site for the next three years.
The mine’s hours for operation and hauling will be 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday, excluding federal holidays.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Quarry explosion damages homes and cars and injures one person1008 Views
- Lafarge CEO awarded $2.78 million bonus for 'key role' in merger387 Views
- Vulcan Materials conducts blast for the 'Mayan steps' restoration321 Views
- Caterpillar unveils the CT680, a rugged work truck wrapped in style (PHOTOS)199 Views
- Lafarge announces rural road solution as a low-cost alternative to asphalt191 Views