Tiller’s Scandia mine approved 5-0
Despite objections from residents, environmental groups, and a planning commission recommendation against it, the Scandia City Council voted 5-0 to greenlight Tiller Corp.‘s conditional–use permit and annual operating permit application, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.
The permit approval includes 83 conditions on the conditional-use permit and 31 conditions on the annual operating permit. After receiving permits from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the Minnesota Department of Transportation, and the Carnelian-Marine-St. Croix Watershed District, Tiller will be able to mine 1 million tons per year of sand from the 114-acre site for the next three years.
The mine’s hours for operation and hauling will be 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday, excluding federal holidays.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA's top 25 most cited standards at stone facilities in 20151081 Views
- MSHA issues 95 citations to seven mines during December inspections1038 Views
- Obama proposes $10-per-barrel tax on oil production747 Views
- MSHA's top 25 most cited standards at sand and gravel facilities in 2015654 Views
- Rock and Bowl: Graniterock helps make the Super Bowl a success577 Views