Tiller’s Scandia mine to open this week
The mine won the unanimous approval of the Scandia City Council in February, despite concerns from some nearby residents about the mine’s effects on the St. Croix River and possible Indian burial grounds, as well as truck traffic and noise.
The approval included 83 conditions on the conditional-use permit and 31 conditions on the annual operating permit.
The project is limited to 3.3 years. It will begin with vegetation removal and preliminary grading.
Tiller Corp., the company that owns the mine, said it will extract 1.2 million tons of gravel from 64 acres of the 114-acre site before reclaiming the area.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Reclamation photo contest entries showcase post-mining opportunities592 Views
- Loader operator dies after sand avalanche at Massachusetts sand and gravel company426 Views
- Location is key for Dolese Bros. Co.'s Davis Quarry421 Views
- A total of 27 states have sued the Obama administration over the new EPA water rule387 Views
- Fireworks are being blamed for a fire at a Montana quarry348 Views