Tiller’s Scandia mine to open this week
The mine won the unanimous approval of the Scandia City Council in February, despite concerns from some nearby residents about the mine’s effects on the St. Croix River and possible Indian burial grounds, as well as truck traffic and noise.
The approval included 83 conditions on the conditional-use permit and 31 conditions on the annual operating permit.
The project is limited to 3.3 years. It will begin with vegetation removal and preliminary grading.
Tiller Corp., the company that owns the mine, said it will extract 1.2 million tons of gravel from 64 acres of the 114-acre site before reclaiming the area.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Miner suspended upside down pulled to safety by his pant legs599 Views
- Caterpillar lays off hundreds more, announces plant closing in North Carolina365 Views
- Cat 6015B hydraulic shovel offers increased power, more loading capacity349 Views
- Obama signs two-week transportation patch into law216 Views
- Drill rig operator freed after machine nearly rolls off cliff in Australia quarry (VIDEO)183 Views