Tiller’s Scandia mine to open this week
The mine won the unanimous approval of the Scandia City Council in February, despite concerns from some nearby residents about the mine’s effects on the St. Croix River and possible Indian burial grounds, as well as truck traffic and noise.
The approval included 83 conditions on the conditional-use permit and 31 conditions on the annual operating permit.
The project is limited to 3.3 years. It will begin with vegetation removal and preliminary grading.
Tiller Corp., the company that owns the mine, said it will extract 1.2 million tons of gravel from 64 acres of the 114-acre site before reclaiming the area.
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Sand portrait highlights aggregate industry's sustainability690 Views
- Vulcan makes several changes to its organizational structure542 Views
- Rocker Bob Seger rips Wisconsin mine plan in new song [Audio]494 Views
- Caterpillar leadership sees changes, heads of mining and dealer support announce retirement 262 Views
- Officials wrongly closed frac sand mine255 Views