Tiller’s Scandia mine to open this week
The mine won the unanimous approval of the Scandia City Council in February, despite concerns from some nearby residents about the mine’s effects on the St. Croix River and possible Indian burial grounds, as well as truck traffic and noise.
The approval included 83 conditions on the conditional-use permit and 31 conditions on the annual operating permit.
The project is limited to 3.3 years. It will begin with vegetation removal and preliminary grading.
Tiller Corp., the company that owns the mine, said it will extract 1.2 million tons of gravel from 64 acres of the 114-acre site before reclaiming the area.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA's top 25 most cited standards at sand and gravel facilities in 20151630 Views
- MSHA's top 25 most cited standards at stone facilities in 20151040 Views
- MSHA issues 95 citations to seven mines during December inspections1030 Views
- Obama proposes $10-per-barrel tax on oil production694 Views
- Stockpile Reports launches bin and bunker measurement for stockpiled materials via iPhone, drone410 Views