Tippecanoe County Commissioners approve ordinance banning quarry development
Tippecanoe County Commissioners this week approved an ordinance banning quarry development near Americus, Ind., the Lafayette Journal & Courier reports.
The ordinance could prevent a limestone quarry proposed by Rogers Group from being constructed. The plan have faced opposition from neighbors for the past year.
Approval of the ordinance came just days after Rogers Group refiled its application for construction. The company had withdrawn its request for a special exception in May so it could focus on neighbor concerns. When refiling its request, Rogers Group included several modifications to its proposal to provide conditions requested by the local community.
According to the report, the Board of Zoning Appeals could hear the new request during its meeting on Aug. 27.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Man hit by front-end loader dies in quarry accident1306 Views
- PHOTOS: Rare prehistoric mammoth found at sand and gravel pit1044 Views
- What should be done with this big pile of sand?696 Views
- Watch this: Dredging at Teichert's Hallwood Plant533 Views
- North America sand market to see big growth495 Views