Top 10 critical changes needed to reduce transportation accidents, save lives
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) on June 27 released its new list of the most critical transportation issues that need to be addressed to improve safety and save lives. The new “Most Wanted List” highlights 10 safety issues that impact transportation nationwide. The announcement of the new list came at a press conference in Washington, D.C. in which each of the five members of the Board spoke briefly about the issues on the list.
“The NTSB’s ability to influence transportation safety depends on our ability to communicate and advocate for changes,” said NTSB Chairman Deborah A.P. Hersman in a written statement. “The Most Wanted List is the most powerful tool we have to highlight our priorities.”
NTSB began issuing an annual Most Wanted List in 1990. The list released today is the first one produced under a revised format developed by the agency over the past several months in an effort to modernize and streamline the list. This year’s list features 10 broad issue areas that the NTSB will highlight in its advocacy efforts during the next year.
The new Most Wanted List can be found on the NTSB’s remodeled website. The effort to update the website began at the end of last year and was a revealed today. “Our new website, with a landing page dedicated to the Most Wanted List issues, provides pertinent, easy-to-find information along with videos and NTSB recommendations that support all of the issues on the list,” Hersman said.
The issue areas on the new Most Wanted List are the following:
- Promote pilot and air traffic controller professionalism
- Address human fatigue
- Promote teen driving safety
- Improve general aviation safety
- Improve motorcycle safety
- Require safety management systems
- Improve runway safety
- Address alcohol-impaired driving
- Improve bus occupant safety
- Require image and onboard data recorders
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Obama proposes $10-per-barrel tax on oil production752 Views
- Rock and Bowl: Graniterock helps make the Super Bowl a success620 Views
- Obama says now is time to raise gas tax with oil prices plummeting456 Views
- Aggregates industry leader Bob Bartlett dies432 Views
- MSHA's top 25 most cited standards at sand and gravel facilities in 2015334 Views