Top tips for highwall, berm and stockpile safety
To keep your operation’s employees safe when working around and with stockpiles and highwalls, the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) offers these five best practices:
Be aware of overhanging material when loading from stockpiles and highwalls.
Stay back from the edge and build a berm.
Stay clear of draw points above surge tunnels.
Always scale the highwall back.
Never place yourself between the equipment and the stockpile or highwall.
Here are some more tips to ensure worker safety near highwalls and berms:
1. Inspect, inspect, inspect. Build good berms, inspect them and maintain them.
2. Control access to highwalls and stockpiles.
3. Be aware of your surroundings and control your hazards. Conduct examinations of the highwall before, during and after every rain, freeze, or thaw.
4. Inspect your stockpile and berms. Inspect and evaluate them and eliminate or control any hazards. Scale down loose, hazardous material and do not work under loose material for any reason.
5. If it’s a new pit, call for your locates and know what’s in the ground. You don’t want to hit a major gasline or pipeline.
6. Pay special attention when working in the corners of box cuts.
7. Increase the number of benches at each highwall to catch falling material.
To see an MSHA alert on highwall safety, click here.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers294 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger144 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park142 Views