Trans-border freight falls 0.2% in January
The amount of freight carried between the U.S. and its North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners, Canada and Mexico, was down 0.2 percent year over year in January, according to data released Thursday from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS).
BTS attributes the decline to severe weather in January, which the agency says impacted trade with Canada.
The data show that freight moving between the U.S. and Canada fell 3.4 percent since January 2013, while trade between the U.S. and Mexico was up 3.9 percent in the same time period.
Trucks carried 59.5 percent of the $90.3 billion of freight moved in January between the U.S. and its NAFTA partners, while rail carried 13.7 percent, vessels carried 9.8 percent, pipeline carried 8.4 percent and air carried 3.8 percent.
According to the data, trucks carried 52.2 percent of the $59.3 billion of freight between Canada and the U.S., while 68.1 percent of the $41.1 billion of freight between Mexico and the U.S. was transported by trucks.
Other freight flows with Canada included 15.1 percent by rail, 14.6 percent by pipeline, 7.2 percent by vessel and 4.7 percent by air. Total surface transportation carried 82.0 percent of all freight between the U.S. and Canada.
Freight flows with Mexico included 13.2 percent by vessel, 12.0 percent by rail, 2.9 percent by air and 0.9 percent by pipeline. Total surface transportation carried 81.0 percent of total freight between the U.S. and Mexico.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA issues citations to five metal/non-metal mines during impact inspections in February446 Views
- Holcim shareholders threaten merger plans with Lafarge…again320 Views
- California woman killed when gravel truck tips over on her car210 Views
- Caterpillar intros 735C, 740C EJ, 745C articulated trucks with bevy of powertrain improvements (PHOTOS)204 Views
- Trinity Materials' Indian Village Plant is diggin’ Cajun style167 Views