Trans-border freight rises 1.3% in February
The amount of freight carried between the U.S. and its North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners, Canada and Mexico, was up 1.3 percent year over year in February, according to data released Thursday from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS).
The data show that freight moving between the U.S. and Canada remained unchanged since February 2013, while trade between the U.S. and Mexico was up 2.8 percent in the same time period.
Trucks carried 59.8 percent of the $89.6 billion of freight moved in February between the U.S. and its NAFTA partners, while rail carried 14.7 percent, vessels carried 9.6 percent, pipeline carried 7.6 percent and air carried 3.5 percent.
According to the data, trucks carried 54.4 percent of the $48.9 billion of freight between Canada and the U.S., while 66.4 percent of the $40.7 billion of freight between Mexico and the U.S. was transported by trucks.
Other freight flows with Canada included 15.6 percent by rail, 13.2 percent by pipeline, 6.2 percent by vessel and 4.2 percent by air. Total surface transportation carried 83.1 percent of all freight between the U.S. and Canada.
Freight flows with Mexico included 13.7 percent by vessel, 13.7 percent by rail, 2.7 percent by air and 0.9 percent by pipeline. Total surface transportation carried 81.0 percent of total freight between the U.S. and Mexico.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining advanced materials technology, with skillful design focusing on…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- House of Representatives passes bill blocking EPA's new Waters of the U.S. rule398 Views
- The Labor Department is auditing MSHA for allegedly failing to collect penalty fines378 Views
- Cat introduces larger sizes of its Tier 4 Final articulated trucks354 Views
- Caterpillar intros 336F L XE hybrid excavator: smart pumps, boom work faster, burn less fuel (PHOTOS)295 Views
- Cat backs up claims of fuel efficiency with a guarantee218 Views