Two dead, one charged in quarry drowning
Mihirtej Boddupalli, 21, and Sajaad Safiullah Syed, 21, are both dead following an accident at a Naperville, Ill. quarry. The young men were inside a vehicle near the quarry when the driver became reckless.
The vehicle ended up in the quarry, which is usually used for paddle boating. Both passengers drowned to death and the driver, Michael T. Szot, 21, has been charged with aggravated DUI involving death and reckless homicide. He is free on $25,000 bond awaiting his next court date Aug. 11.
A Naperville-based youth service organization is offering free counseling to anyone who has been affected by the tragedy.
“Tragedies like this sometimes build upon previous things that happened to us,” Clinical Director Margot Smith said. “You never know how things can affect you.”
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Controversial quarry granted permit by Indiana Department of Natural Resources440 Views
- PHOTOS: Reclamation photo contest entries showcase post-mining opportunities416 Views
- VIDEO: World conference discusses Lafarge-Holcim merger400 Views
- Loader operator dies after sand avalanche at Massachusetts sand and gravel company385 Views
- The final Waters of the U.S. rule has been released to the Federal Register371 Views