Two dead, one charged in quarry drowning
Mihirtej Boddupalli, 21, and Sajaad Safiullah Syed, 21, are both dead following an accident at a Naperville, Ill. quarry. The young men were inside a vehicle near the quarry when the driver became reckless.
The vehicle ended up in the quarry, which is usually used for paddle boating. Both passengers drowned to death and the driver, Michael T. Szot, 21, has been charged with aggravated DUI involving death and reckless homicide. He is free on $25,000 bond awaiting his next court date Aug. 11.
A Naperville-based youth service organization is offering free counseling to anyone who has been affected by the tragedy.
“Tragedies like this sometimes build upon previous things that happened to us,” Clinical Director Margot Smith said. “You never know how things can affect you.”
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- 20-year-old killed at sand and gravel mill922 Views
- Sand portrait highlights aggregate industry's sustainability633 Views
- Vulcan makes several changes to its organizational structure571 Views
- Rocker Bob Seger rips Wisconsin mine plan in new song [Audio]559 Views
- Sand thieves targeting the world's beaches437 Views