Two dead, one charged in quarry drowning
Mihirtej Boddupalli, 21, and Sajaad Safiullah Syed, 21, are both dead following an accident at a Naperville, Ill. quarry. The young men were inside a vehicle near the quarry when the driver became reckless.
The vehicle ended up in the quarry, which is usually used for paddle boating. Both passengers drowned to death and the driver, Michael T. Szot, 21, has been charged with aggravated DUI involving death and reckless homicide. He is free on $25,000 bond awaiting his next court date Aug. 11.
A Naperville-based youth service organization is offering free counseling to anyone who has been affected by the tragedy.
“Tragedies like this sometimes build upon previous things that happened to us,” Clinical Director Margot Smith said. “You never know how things can affect you.”
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining advanced materials technology, with skillful design focusing on…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Quarry explosion damages homes and cars and injures one person986 Views
- Lafarge CEO awarded $2.78 million bonus for 'key role' in merger395 Views
- Caterpillar intros 336F L XE hybrid excavator: smart pumps, boom work faster, burn less fuel (PHOTOS)345 Views
- Vulcan Materials conducts blast for the 'Mayan steps' restoration275 Views
- Lafarge, Holcim announce job cuts ahead of merger241 Views