Volvo motorcycle rally honors fallen, missing military heroes
- The employees of Volvo Trucks North America’s New River Valley Plant participated in the annual Rolling Thunder – Ride for Freedom rally over the Memorial Day weekend. 2010 marks the 19th year Volvo employees from NRV took part in the massive motorcycle rally dedicated to America’s fallen or missing military heroes. As in past years, NRV’s involvement included a specially decaled Volvo VN670. This year’s graphics highlighted the 60th anniversary of the start of the Korean War.
The employees of Volvo Trucks North America’s New River Valley Plant continued a nearly two-decade-old tradition during the Memorial Day weekend by participating in the annual Rolling Thunder – Ride for Freedom rally.
2010 marks the 19th year Volvo employees from NRV have taken part in the massive motorcycle rally dedicated to America’s fallen or missing military heroes.
As in past years, NRV’s involvement included a specially decaled Volvo VN670. The illustrations detailed a variety of patriotic and military veteran themes, memorials and events from past conflicts. This year’s graphics highlighted the 60th anniversary of the start of the Korean War.
Early on Saturday, May 29, hundreds of local residents, Volvo employees and participating motorcyclists gathered at UAW Local 2069’s Union Hall, adjacent to the NRV Plant, for speeches by local veterans, reflections and prayers, and “Amazing Grace” played on bagpipes. At the end of the ceremony, hundreds of motorcyclists, including several dozen Volvo employees, and the Volvo VN left for the drive to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., to join up with hundreds of thousands of other participants.
The truck’s graphics also reflected the local nature of the remembrance and the participation of the Southwest Virginia community in the national event. This year, special graphics memorialized two local veterans who had recently passed away: one was a former Vietnam War POW; the other was a veteran of D-Day and Korea.
Planning for NRV’s involvement in the rally typically begins in January with the Veteran’s Committee of UAW Local 2069. Advantage Truck Center of Charlotte donated the use of this truck from its inventory for the event.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Manufacturers News
Manufacturer news: Hlavinka Equipment opens Texas Hlavinda JCB division; Terex Washing Systems appoints new global sales director; Skelly and Loy promotes Aungst to VP of AMS; Luff Industries adds Riddell as territory manager; Caterpillar opens first Data Innovation Lab; Yokohama Tire Corp. will help build eco-friendly playground
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan Materials to meet August deadline for restoring eastern hillside of Azusa rock quarry475 Views
- MSHA issues serious non-fatal accident alert, best practices in response to water truck accident452 Views
- MSHA Fatality Review Committee determines several fatalities are chargeable to the mining industry315 Views
- Excavator explodes into flames after engine malfunction on New York jobsite (VIDEO)279 Views
- Eric Olsen appointed future CEO of Lafarge Holcim merger254 Views