Vulcan christens a new tug boat
Vulcan Materials Co. christened a new tug boat for use at its Grand Rivers facility. Named M/V Hazel Demery, the tug is named for a former employee and prominent local citizen who was the guest of honor at the christening ceremony.
Beginning in 1951, Demery worked as a nurse for Reed Crushed Stone, which was acquired by Vulcan in 1990. She continued working for Vulcan until she retired in 2009 with 58 years of service.
Among her activities and honors, Demery served on the Pennyrile Area Development District board of directors for approximately 20 years; served as Red Cross Blood Mobile chairperson from 1962 until 2008 and is commissioned as a Kentucky Colonel and Kentucky Admiral. In 2008, Demery received the Distinguished Service Citation from the Office of Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway. She has also served as Livingston County Deputy Sheriff under several administrations.
Darren Hicks, Vulcan’s director of human resources – Southern and Gulf Coast Area said, “Hazel’s exemplary life has focused on service to our company, her community, her family, and her church. I can think of no person more deserving of this honor than Hazel.”
Vulcan’s Grand Rivers facility includes a large limestone quarry, processing plant, and harbor. In addition to distributing products by truck and rail, Vulcan ships stone by barge on the Mississippi River and Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest crusher in a market-leading series. The all new…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Metal and nonmetal mines get a total of 61 citations during August MSHA inspections452 Views
- Southwest Rock Products' Queen Creek plant wins Top Operations contest389 Views
- Hanson Building Products acquires Minnesota concrete company363 Views
- Frac sand 101: What does it take to enter the high-value frac sand market and what does it mean for aggregate producers?358 Views
- Tips for meeting MSHA's tougher criteria for workplace examinations308 Views