Vulcan net sales rise 9% in Q1 2014
The company’s gross profit margin was up 270 basis points, compared to the first quarter of 2013.
The aggregates segment of the company saw a gross profit improvement of 55 percent, or $14 million. Shipments in this segment rise 6 percent (1.8 million tons), while pricing increased 2 percent and cash gross profit per ton improved 8 percent.
Non-aggregates gross profit was up about $3 million.
Earnings from continuing operations were $0.41 per diluted share. The company saw $1.04 per diluted share of income related to the sale of the Company’s Florida-area cement and concrete assets and $0.35 per diluted share in charges to interest expense referable to the $506 million of debt purchased, both in March. When adjusting for these one-time items, earnings from continuing operations were down $0.28 per diluted share versus, compared to a loss of $0.47 per diluted share in the first quarter of 2013.
Adjusted EBITDA was $39 million, versus $26 million in the first three months of last year.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest crusher in a market-leading series. The all new…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Mummified human remains found at the site of a planned quarry in Indiana1159 Views
- A quarry worker was found dead in a lake a week after he fell from a floating dredge1035 Views
- MSHA rolls out new Part 50 training program584 Views
- Caterpillar splits with Navistar, will design and build its own vocational trucks in Texas351 Views
- Senate DRIVE Act is a six-year transportation bill with three-year Highway Trust Fund financing guarantee289 Views