Vulcan to mine west side of Azusa rock
Vulcan Materials will begin mining the west side of Azusa Rock in the foothills of the San Gabriel Valley, which is expected to generate millions of dollars for the city of Azusa, California, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The project–approved in July 2010–includes funding for scholarships and open space and a pledge to create a new trail head to Fish Canyon Falls.
People opposing the operation have said mining the area will scar the mountainside, worsen air quality and block access to a trail head to the Fish Canyon Falls area.
This is Vulcan’s second mining operation in the Azusa area. The company has operated a rock quarry at the mouth of Fish Canyon Falls on the east side of Azusa Rock but wanted to move operations closer to its processing facility near Duarte and Azusa.
The start of the relocated Vulcan operation follows a series of battles with the city of Duarte:
- Duarte to stop challenging Vulcan Materials expansion project near Azusa (April 2013)
- Azusa wins legal battle over mine (February 2013)
- Duarte appeals superior court decision in Vulcan mining case (October 2011)
- Duarte City Council votes to appeal ruling in favor of Azusa (August 2011)
- Judge unlikely to accept Duarte’s Vulcan-fighting efforts (May 2011)
- Azusa residents vote in support of Vulcan mining (March 2011)
- Reverse Psychology (March 2011)
- Azusa City Council to discuss Vulcan mining plan (December 2010)
- Azusa Planning Commission recommends Vulcan mining plan (April 2010)
- Vulcan environmental impact report reveals limited impact (February 2010)
- Vulcan Materials submits mining proposal (March 2009)
From our partners
Developing a solid relationship with Demolition Technologies Specialized Services enables Crushing Tigers and Sandvik Construction to impact the demolition and…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- VIDEO: World conference discusses Lafarge-Holcim merger452 Views
- Controversial quarry granted permit by Indiana Department of Natural Resources441 Views
- PHOTOS: Reclamation photo contest entries showcase post-mining opportunities397 Views
- The final Waters of the U.S. rule has been released to the Federal Register368 Views
- Atlanta turning quarry into one of America's largest reservoirs366 Views