We need jobs, not just unemployment insurance
Today, groups that don’t traditionally back tax increases — among them, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the National Association of Manufacturers and the American Trucking Association — have come out in support of a gas tax increase because of this reauthorization bill’s ability to put Americans back to work.
But we are still waiting to hear from the most important player: Obama. He is on the stump talking about creating jobs, but he’s in a bunker when it comes to a reauthorization of the surface transportation bill. We are working full-bore to get a bipartisan bill done this year. The House has been working on reauthorization for 2½ years.
I cannot understand how the president can ignore this issue at a time when unemployment continues to grow and we have a proven job creator at our fingertips.
Show me another bill that has bipartisan support from labor, manufacturing, business, the trucking industry and state and local groups. Show me another bill that will create real jobs for Americans, will be paid for and will bring certainty to a major part of the economy without adding to an already staggering deficit.
Sen. George Voinovich (R-Ohio) is ranking member of the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee and serves on the Environment and Public Works Committee.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Former gravel quarry-turned-landfill transforms into nature reserve517 Views
- North Carolina grants Martin Marietta water quality certification for limestone quarry256 Views
- Vulcan-blocking bill dies in Alabama legislature251 Views
- Road restrictions may stop quarry construction in Kentucky214 Views
- Two suspects charged with arson in Jack’s Mountain Quarry case in Virginia128 Views